concept for a sports hall in Kaštela.
The Municipality of Kaštela, near Split, Croatia, wishes to erect a triple sport hall facility at the existing local sports grounds in partnership with the town sports club (and above all the successful Kaštela Handball Club), while also making use of an innovative timber structure to give this development a showcase project status. A side building with changing rooms for the sports area should be renovated and integrated in the new building. The new sports hall is required for spectator gymnastic and sports events and with this aim in mind it will include a grandstand to seat approx. 300 people.
• Approx. 1,500 m2 floor space, approx. 16,000m3 enclosed space
• Timber hall construction (earthquake zone) (clearance height 9m, span ~ 27m)
• The building should be highly energy efficient / heating / cooling
• Alternative energies should be used
• Synergy effects with existing sports facilities / new construction